Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mom's Homemade Apple Pie


This Thanksgiving, my mom, my sister, and I are in charge of bringing 2 pies, stuffing, wild rice, and sweet potatoes. I think I am going to also make a Roasted Garlic Mushroom Tart... we'll see if I have time. For the pies, my dad has an amazing pumpkin tart at his restaurant, Cafe Midi. We decided we would just bring one of those and then leave the apple pie making to me. And who better to lend her expertise then my mamma.
Filling
8 Granny Smith or Galveston apples (you want a tart, firm apple)  
                            NOTE: I usually buy 10 as they vary in size
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 tbs cornstarch (if your apple mixture doesn't look a bit sticky, add another one before you bake it)

First start by peeling all the apples. Slice each apple into 1/4 inch slices. You want to make sure you are accurate with the size of the apple pieces, so they all cook at the same time. It would be terrible to have some really mushy apples and some hard ones.



One of my tricks is to actually take an apple corer/slicer, and slice each apple into the designated 8 slices. Then, I cut each slice into 3rds. It is SO much easier, and out comes consistent, easy to do slices. Try this once and you will never go back to attempting to evenly slice each apple.



Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, white sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, and the lemon juice all together. Once well incorporated, toss the apples into the bowl, and coat them with the above mixture.

Natalie and Willie helping me prep the apple pie

Place cellophane over the bowl or place in a zip lock baggy. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to tenderize the apples and pull some of the juice of the apple out.. I do this the day before so they can marinate overnight. For those of you skeptical about the lemon, don't be! It is a must to keep the fruit from browning. As well as a tasty pie, you want a pretty pie, so no brown apples! Once done marinating, taste the apples to see if sweet enough. The sweetness depends on you and your guests. I like my pie a little tart. If you need to add more sugar, I would only add a couple of tbs more of sugar, maybe 2.
Make the crust per the instructions below. Once the bottom crust is done pour your apple mixture into the crust. Dot the pie filling w/ 2 tbs butter on top, then cover it with full or lattice crust, depends on your style. If you do a full crust, remember to poke holes in the top of the crust so the pie does not burst and bubble over. Brush with beaten egg to give it shine and crunch. Bake at 375 for approx. 45 min.


Voila. The most amazing, homey, fresh apple pie you can make. This makes any store bought pie shameful!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Enjoy your holidays!

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...