Thursday, November 3, 2011

Arugula and Pear Salad

Today was filled with snacking... too much snacking! 
Halloween candy
Bagel chips dipped in pumpkin cream cheese
Brie cheese
Sounds enough for a meal, but no.... just my snacks. 


GRE stress is kicking in as I have 2 weeks till my test, but I was still feeling a little guilty. For dinner, I wanted to eat something light. Remembering the leftover pear I had from dinner 2 nights ago in my grilled brie cheese sandwich with pear, I immediately thought of this salad. Its something like the salad I love at one of my favorite Los Angeles gastropubs, Bar Food. If you live on the westside, you need to eat there and have a good beer or glass of whiskey. They have an amazing selection. Sorry... I get carried away. On to the salad!


2 cups Arugula
1 whole medium pear (about 4-5 inches long)
4 ounces creamy blue cheese
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
2 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

*This salad is enough for 2 people to have a big dinner salad. For me, eating alone, I decided to make a little for dinner, and the rest for lunch tomorrow. And in the midst of my excitement, I realized I didn't have a lemon. If you can, try fresh juice.*

Make sure all your ingredients are washed. If you want to peel the pear, you can. I however like the skin.


Place the Arugula in a bowl. Make sure it is washed so nothing gritty gets in your salad. Next, slice your pear into rounds, cutting those into 4ths. Once you are done slicing the pear, you may think there is a lot. The salad is meant to be about 2 parts pear, 3 parts Arugula. Don't worry... salads don't always have to be all lettuce :)


Next, take the 4 ounces Blue Cheese and crumble on top of salad. I don't recommend pre-crumbled Blue Cheese, as it tends to be dry. You want the creaminess from a fresh Blue Cheese.


Last, combine the olive oil and lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. You can always add more to taste if you like. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss, and enjoy!

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...