Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Short Rib Sliders with Mango Coleslaw


I had a dinner party on Friday and before the party, was seriously lacking some inspiration as to what to make. My invite said to make something sinful; a guilty pleasure you don't get to eat all the time. My go to item is usually my Macaroni and Cheese. Everyone loves it, everyone asks for it, but I have done it... a lot! So I began to think about what else I could make. Baked Brie? Fig Bread Pudding? Vanilla Rum Cake? Butter Cake?

And then it hit me... almost literally hit me.... Driving home around my neighbor hood the other day, the Kogi BBQ food truck almost rear ended me. And then I thought about it... sliders. Small, easy, DELICIOUS. Kogi has some of the best Asian inspired sliders in Los Angeles. Mine, however, were going to be a little bit different.

The reason this post is labeled easy entertaining is because it is semi homemade. Meat takes time to marinate and when you are having a party after work, you may be strapped for time. Like I was. But to make things that are semi homemade taste delicious, and not like they came from a store after sitting for hours, is to make it only part prepackaged and part you and your creative efforts. This is why everything else but the meat was homemade, giving the slider its freshness.

Around me, there are great butchers and grocery realtors that have marinated meats. Carne Asada is easier to find, but with the popularity of Asian fusion in Los Angeles, you can also find Asian inspired meats. My weapon of choice, Trader Joes. They have a killer sweet and spicy Maui marinated short rib. And if you want something with more tang, I believe there is a Korean sesame short rib they have as well.

1 pound Asian style short ribs
20 slider rolls
2 tbs soy sauce
4 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tbs sesame oil
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs sesame seeds
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup mango diced
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
1/4 cup chopped basil
salt and pepper to taste

We want to start by making the coleslaw so it has time to marinate and all meld together. In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame seeds and sesame oil. Set this aside.




Next, add the cabbage, mint, and basil. 


Lastly, add the mango.


Mix these all together and then season with salt and pepper to taste.


Get out a griddle or in door grill pan. And get it HOT! You want to sear the meat and give it a nice sugary crust. Start by adding a few pieces of the meat until you have cooked the whole pound.



Once the meat is done, let it rest for 3-4 minutes. Once rested, cut each piece of meat into smaller square like pieces, big enough to cover the base of the slider bun, but not so big they don't fit and make everything look messy. Next split the rolls in half and lay your bottom halves on a serving dish. Place a piece of meat on each bottom half. 


Top the meat with about a tablespoon of the mango coleslaw. You may have a little extra, in which case you can add to a small bowl and have to the side in case anyone else wants more. In general, these sliders should not need condiments.


For my dinner party, I made the coleslaw and set it aside. Then while people started showing up, I started the meat, which took only a few minutes, and assembled the sliders. This way, they were hot and juicy when people got to my house. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Carole said...

Good post. You might be interested in a spicy and cruncy cole slaw I made http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/spicy-crunchy-coleslaw.html

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...