Tuesday, February 21, 2012

800 Degrees Pizza


My friend Desiree who works with me at UCLA, and has her own blog Bundts of Steel, has talked about this new pizza place that opened up in Westwood CA a number of times, and I finally went with her on Friday. It is amazing. Its sort of the concept of Subway, where you stand in line, pick you base, choose the add ons, and in a few short minutes get your meal. But instead of being low quality sandwiches, 800 Degrees Pizza is excellent quality, high end ingredient, pizza. PIZZA. Made to order and cooked in 60 seconds. Phenominal.

When you look at the menu, you notice things like prosciutto, rock shrimp, and truffles. Or how about a list of cheese that include Fontina, Smoked Provalone, and a Fresh Burrata Bar. The items to choose from are all high end. Something like mushrooms does not include your traditional Domino's white caps. Instead, you get a slightly marinated mixed group of mushrooms that have been wood fire roasted. They even have charred broccolini.


When you walk into 800 Degrees, you notice this long preparation table much like the counter at Subway. There, someone is carefully stretching your pizza dough and asking you what kind of base would you like for your pizza, which on their own would be amazing. In essence you could get a Margherita pizza with crushed tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, olive oil, and basil for $6. Did I mention the pizzas are about a foot in diameter? This isn't your personal pan pizza... it is a real pizza.

Photo from: Midtown Lunch
But, you want the toppings. The toppings make the pizza. You can pick anything to put on top of your pizza. Bacon. An Egg. Salami. Caramelized Onions. Soppressata. Roasted Garlic. The choices are endless, the flavor combo is endless. For mine, I did a Margharita base, adding Gorgonzola cheese, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. All in all, my pizza came out to 10 dollars. 10 DOLLARS. That is less than a crappy medium pizza from Dominos.


Did I mention that by the time it took me to get a glass of water, my pizza was done? 800 Degrees really does understand its motto of "get a 250 year old classic in 60 seconds or less". If you think that getting a fresh made pizza, with what you want, for a great price, with enough for leftovers the next day is not possible on your 1 hour lunch, think again. 800 Degrees has perfected it.

My pizza
800 degrees not only does pizza, they have a ready to order salad station, where someone makes exactly what you want in front of you. They also have a Burrata bar, where you can select a hunk of Burrata cheese with accompaniments, like beets and balsamic or cherry tomatoes and pesto. Or maybe you want a side of meatballs? Or a Anitpasti platter?


All in all, this is some of the best pizza I have had. And from the time it took me to begin making my pizza, till I was eating it... maybe 7 minutes. Fast, inexpensive, amazing quality, and delicious. I would hands down recommend anyone to eat here for lunch, business, or a date.


800 Degrees Neapolitan Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

ma yanim motek said...

I am in LOVE with this place, and have decided to put sea salt on any future pizza I make

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...