Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Busy Bee

Sophie, Me and Katie watching the 49ers unfortunately lose
It has been a long few busy weeks! I apologize for not getting something food related on here in a while. Basketball season is intense, and with games every week it is hard for me to get home and get cooking! But I promise I will post something tomorrow or Thursday. At least that's my goal.

I did, however, go to a BBQ joint in Venice, CA that I have been dying to try. Because of 2 things... killer mac and cheese, and roasted corn on the cob topped with chipotle butter, cojita cheese, and lime. Does that not make you want to drive there right now? Ugh... I just finished lunch and am already getting hungry!


The place is called Baby Blue Barbeque and is located at 444 Lincoln Bl. Venice CA 90291. I got a platter that consisted of a half chicken, cornbread, and 2 sides. The chicken was SO MOIST and it had the perfect amount of outer char to BBQ sauce ratio. Its the kind of place where you have to eat the chicken skin because it literally melts in your mouth. The cornbread was only oh k. It wasn't heated, which to me is a no no on a dense cornbread like this one. It could have been better crisped up a bit. My sides were of course the macaroni and cheese, which I polished off before anything else as it was ADDICTING, and the corn. Ohh the corn. Let me tell you it is something I have never had before, and will now have to recreate this summer when I barbecue. If you haven't put lime and cojita cheese on corn, do it. It was phenomenal. All in all, Baby Blue has got some excellent things brewing in their kitchen. 

I was so hungry I took a bite before the photo :)
The chicken was a large enough portion that I was able to have some for lunch the next day, and also have leftovers for dinner, where I made an incredible grilled cheese sandwich. Buttermilk bread, shredded Mozzarella, Sharp Cheddar, and Gruyere cheese with BBQ chicken and sauteed onions. And made with lots of butter. Sidenote: I don't understand why people use mayo on the outside of bread for the sandwich... I find it too greasy. I use good butter, cooked on low, and cover the sandwich with a bowl to ensure total meltage without burning the sandwich or having to use too much extra fat. To see how this is done, check out my post on the Grilled Brie Cheese Sandwich with Pear


The week ended with a loss by the 49ers, which I normally wouldn't mind if I were not psuedo cheering for them. Unfortunately, Los Angeles does not have an NFL team. Raiders fans scare me. Chargers fans are obnoxious. So I am left with the last CA team, the 49ers. Trying to be a good fan, I joined my Nor Cal lady Sophie in red to watch the game, hoping I could maybe bring her team some luck. Alas, this was not the case, but I had a great time regardless.

In 9 days from now, I head to Austin Texas to visit some friends. I have been promised line dancing and some delicious Texas BBQ-ed meat, and possibly wrastling cattle while I ride a steed. Just the usual things a girl from LA does. My point? I will keep you posted on where to go, what to eat, and what to do in Austin TX should you ever find yourself there.

I leave you with a promise to cook this week, and a song I have stuck in my head. This is Ellie Goulding, and I saw her at Outside Lands this year. She is incredible. This is another song I would put on and dance around my house to. 


Enjoy, Ellie Goulding "Lights"
Baby Blues BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...