Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mexicali in North Hollywood


The valley gets a bad rep sometimes, but it is an amazing place.Some of the stereotypes are true, but that goes without exception anywhere. I live in Sherman Oaks, and I love it. If you live in the valley, you know the awesomeness that is Ventura Boulevard. It spans all the way through the valley, and along the way, you can find amazing places to shop, eat, and explore. A lot of the time, when I don't know where I want to go eat on a night out, I just drive down the Boulevard. I always find somewhere new and absolutely delicious.

One of those places is Mexicali. From their atmosphere, to their late night happy hour, to their servers who are all pieces of eye candy, it is the place to be. I mean, who doesn't want to drink a pitcher of margaritas with their girlfriends while eyeing the view. You'd be lying to yourself if you said you didn't. And gentlemen, there are plenty of good looking ladies too.

I think by now, you all know about my addiction..... to cheese. Its incurable, insatiable, and downright sinful. My addiction brings me to Mexicali frequently for their Queso. Notice its not say Queso Dip... because it isn't a dip. It is a plate of 4 cheeses, melted together, broiled with jalapeno strips on top, that comes with quacamole, salsa, flour or corn tortillas, and chips. For $7 on their normal menu. Yes, it is a plate of melty, broiled cheese.... the cheese addict in me is drooling right now.


I could eat one of these by myself easily. Last night for dinner, with my lovely friend Natalie, we shared a plate. It is a perfect start to a meal for 2 people. Not only is the Queso good, so is Mexicali's margaritas. They have a 50 ounce pitcher for $23, which gave each of us about 4 margaritas each. Think about that... 4 margaritas for $11.50 (we split the pitcher of course). I mean, how much better can hump day get? Cheese! Margaritas! Aye Aye


I haven't had a bad meal here. Everything is good and fresh, with large enough portions you can share. After out cheese platter, Natalie and I got the fajitas, which they will kindly do for you with half steak and half chicken, no questions asked. It is the BEST of both worlds. The platter came with a cup of tortilla soup, an ear of charred corn, and cilantro rice. But there are a bevy of other sides for you to choose from. Oh, and don't forget the standard side of tortillas, fresh guacamole, sour cream, and cheese.


The service is also excellent. Out waiter was polite, on time, and always refilled out glasses from our margarita pitcher. Usually, when you buy a pitcher of beer or whatever you are drinking at a bar or restaurant, you wind up refilling your glass yourself. Not our waiter. He made sure we were treated like quests. And I loved it. The next time you have a date, take her here. The next time you eat out with the family, take them here. A night out with the girls? Mexicali. You will not be disappointed.

Sidenote: My waiter told me about the band he is in. Great band called The Vice Junkies.You can check them out here. Make sure to always support local music! Rock on!

Mexicali Cocina & Cantina on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The food is delicious! I am now craving Mexicali!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss A,
Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/71189/restaurant/LA/Mexicali-Cocina-Cantina-Studio-City
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/1480799/restaurant/LA/The-Blue-Dog-Sherman-Oaks
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/1460013/restaurant/Studio-City/Henrys-Hat-LA
I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
- Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
- Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/5/6763/LA/things-I-make-in-my-kitchen.html

- Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Ken
www.urbanspoon.com

MEAT ME said...

I don't know some people like their food some don't but I do and most go for their Margaritas that make you retarded any night!!!

You gotta try their sister (same owner) restaurant on my side of the hill Marix (its actually oh the street I live on) and get the "chili con queso" you will f-ing die so so so GOOD!

Party on My Friend! MEAT ME

MissA said...

I love Marix. I didn't know they were sister places. I play beach volleyball on Saturdays and we all go to Marix afterwards :)

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...