Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dip-spiration


Every New Years I veer away from resolutions because I always break them. Well, I have a blog resolution and hopefully I don't forget about it. TAKE PICTURES!

A lot of times when I come up with recipes, I forget to use the camera. And sometimes, I just write about recipes of mine I haven't divulged before or in a long time. However, when I was spending time with some friends over summer, one of them mentioned "I used to look at your blog all the time, but its hard because I rarely look at blogs without pictures." And, she was right. The websites I am prone to viewing also usually have brilliant images.

So here is to my end of summer resolution, to take more photos!

Now, on to food. This summer I have eaten some amazing dips. And really, what is summer without chips and dips. With the end of summer you may be thinking "isn't this post coming too late?" Though if you are like me, for me and my friends, it's coming just in time. College Football season is rapidly approaching and if you want to be bell of the tailgate ball, try some of these recipes. I promise you won't be disappointed.

And just for kicks.... U C L A. GO BRUINS!!

Bacon and Cheese Dip
This dip is addicting. What I sometimes do it buy a disposable pan, and kind of warm this up on the grill before I let people dig in with tortilla chips. It can be eaten cold too. Play around with this recipe.

16 oz sour cream
1 packet Ranch dressing mix (I recommend Hidden Valley)
1/4 cup bacon crumble (take the time to make actual bacon and crumble it finely. Bacon bits are a sin, and not in a good way)
1 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all the ingredients together. This goes great with tortilla chips or carrot sticks.


Spicy Prosciutto Dip
I had this dip at a Scotch and Cigar tasting I went to with two of my guy friends and my boyfriend. It was AMAZING. Use a good chip with this... you are going to want to.

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup horseradish (you can add more to make it spicier, or less to make it less spicey)
1/3 cup minced prosciutto
1/4 cup minced onions

Mix all the ingredients together. Refrigerate. This dip you are going to want to have cold. Smear on top of great table water crackers, like Carr's. I recommend the pepper ones.


Better than Caramel Apple -Dip
This one is for those with a sweet tooth. Not every dip has to be savory

8 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together and serve with apples. You can also serve with pears. This makes a great base for a sweet desert using peaches too.


Cili Cheese Dip
This one is best served with tortilla chips.

15 oz can chili (can be with or without beans. It is what you prefer)
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (save a little to the side)
1 clove of garlic - crushed
1/4 cup diced onion
1 tsp chili powder (southwestern seasoning powders work, or Lawry's seasoning salt)

Mix together and put in small baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Bake @ 350 for 20 -25 minutes


Barbeque Chicken Dip
This one comes from the website From Apples to Zucchini. The first time I saw this, my mouth watered. I would recommend eating it with tortilla chips, or bagel chips. The crunchy bagel does wonders for it. The direct link to the recipe is here: http://www.fromapples2zucchini.com/?p=1490


1 boneless skinless chicken breast
3/4 c. of you favorite barbecue sauce (Jack Daniels is the best)
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 bell pepper, cored and diced
1 sweet onion, diced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp olive oil
1/3 c shredded cheese of your choosing (I used cheddar)

In either a saucepan or slow cooker, cook your chicken breast in the barbeque sauce until fork tender, then shred. In the meantime, saute the peppers and onions in the oil until opaque and tender. In another bowl, add cream cheese and seasonings, along with onions and peppers. Pour in chicken with all of the sauce and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into an oven safe dish and drizzle about 2 additional tablespoons of barbacue sauce on top, then sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and the cheese is melted and browned slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!


Hot Sausage Dip
A friend of mine made something like this for the Superbowl last year. All of us swarmed the dish and devoured the cheesy deliciousness. This one is also served best with tortilla chips. It can also make a great base for a pizza, or smeared on top of your hot dog at the game. Because who really doesn't love meat on meat.

8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz sour cream
1 lb sausage, cooked and crumbled (recommend Hilshire Farms spicy sausage)
2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese (if you want a more melty texture, you can also use Velveeta)
1 medium sized tomato diced

Mix together and put in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.


Sweet Fruit and Honey Dip
This is 100% best served on crostini that has been lightly dusted with sugar (instead of salt and pepper.) See the link to a previous recipe that includes crostini. Use a good baguette to make your toast.

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/8 cup of your favorite fruit marmalade (my new favorite, apple and fig)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 tbsp honey


Buffalo Chicken Dip
Serve with tortilla chips. Because it is buffalo chicken, it also goes really well with celery. This one is also served nice warm. I suggest if you take it to a tailgate to reheat it just for a little bit.

2 cups chicken shredded or in chunks
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Ranch dressing (recommend Hidden Valley)
1/4 cup favorite buffalo wing sauce (Red Hot's is my favorite)
3/4 cup sharp shredded Cheddar cheese

Mix together and put in small baking dish.  Bake @ 350 for 20 - 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My favorite dip of all time is a Jalapeno dip my friend Selise makes. Unfortunately, I was sworn to secrecy... but for the creative cooker, try making something cheesy and spicy with Jalapenos and put them on crostini. So good.

Happy Tailgating! I will be doing some more tailgating recipes as football season starts, and I promise to include more pictures.

Selise, Ben, and I at a UCLA Tailgate last year. Go Bruins!!!

No comments:

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...